Photo by Trent, taken while hiking
at Emerald Lake in
Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado
03/14/2009



February 1, 2005

Happy Birthday, Gord!

The 50s? That's not so long ago! (Just ask our kids!)

Well, tomorrow we'll be celebrating the birthday of someone born not just in the 50s, but in the EARLY 50s! Which is so much worse than being born in the mid-50s like me! My brother, Gord, has always been in my life. He was here when I arrived, and I've never had to do without him, although he did live far away for many years. I don't think he liked me too well to begin with. I was too little to hear him, of course, but I have it from a reliable source (our mother) that it went something like this:

When my mother brought me home from the hospital, three-year-old Gord was all excited about his new baby sister. After a few days, however, the newness wore off. The crying was probably getting to his nerves, and not only that, it seemed that there was now a new apple of his parents' eyes. Their attention wasn't something he had planned on sharing, so he said to our mother, "Mummy, you can take her back to the hospital now!" Mother, without the benefit of the child psychologists, answered, "Okay. I can take her back, but I'll have to go with her." Gord, always the brainy one, knew THAT wouldn't work, so he conceded that I could stay after all!!

Here are a few pictures, mostly from long ago, to help us celebrate his birthday and to remind us of the wonderful family we have and how much better our lives have been because Gord has been living his life with us!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Jeanette, for posting all those old photos... just love getting glimpses of your family! (Lots of fun for me to see Carol-Ann in those photos, too!)

Carol-Ann Allen said...

I had a call today from Jeannie: "Have you checked your sister's blog? Well, you are in for a treat!" She was right! What a fun way to celebrate Gord's birthday together from the other side of the continent! Thanks, Jeanette! Happy Birthday, Gord!

Anonymous said...

Hello Aunt Jeanette; (I think it's been years since I called you that) Mom told me about your blog today for about the millionth time so here I am to see it for myself. Happy Birthday Uncle Gord (lots of years for that one too) Sorry I missed it.

Carol-Ann Allen said...

Hey! I'm all confused! I have no idea who left the above comment on your blog!

Well sis, take a look if you dare! Little Tin Roof has gone belly up! Just as well, I guess! I'll focus on music instead! One day I may put the effort back into getting it well again! It's a fun little hobby but has a tendancy to interfere with the more important stuff in life! Let me know when you post again, though! I always like reading other people's stuff better than my own anyway!

Anonymous said...

I'm waiting waiting waiting.....
When are you going to put something new on here! I neeeed it.
Aunt Carol, I'm sorry about your blog, you crack me up. You are a good writer. I hope that all works out okay.
Well, I love you two. Good luck to both of you. May you find your sixth happiness besides God(that is, if you haven't already).
Peace out-Andrea

Carol-Ann Allen said...

Hey Andrea!
Thanks for commenting on Kinza's blog! "Love ya, Toots" is fast becoming a saying at our house now! It's very appropriate -- Kidlet is also known as Queen of Toot! Ha Ha Ha! Oh my, oh my! What would Grandma say!

Study hard, girl! Or perhaps I should say: try to take a break from studying now and then!

I'm sure my bloggie will be better before too long. I do have it in a back-up file but I realized it might do me good to give it a rest anyway. Somehow I kinda like the new look and may do something even with that except it won't be able to take comments!

"Love ya, Toots!"
Aunt Carol-Ann

Anonymous said...

This is pitiful! You need to get on it! I want more information.... Come on! Andrea

Kinza said...

Oh AUNTIE JEANEEEEETTE!
When are you gonna post again???
Are you even viewing your own blog anymore?? :(

I wish you'd post!

Love ya lots!
Kinza

Carol-Ann Allen said...

Hi Sis!
Came on to do some house-keeping on your blog. Hope you don't mind! Some troublesome comments were here so I deleted them and enabled the word verification feature.

Hey! Are ya gonna post again?? Next time I catch you on the webcam I'm gonna post a shot of you in your early morning state if you don't get SOMETHING up here! Now THAT is a threat! :)