Photo by Trent, taken while hiking
at Emerald Lake in
Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado
03/14/2009



January 6, 2008

A dear friend

I have just revisited my old blog and was shocked to find that it has been almost 3 years since my last post! Where has all that time gone? It's been so long that I had forgotten some of the things I wrote so long ago, and I have had fun re-reading it all!

Actually, a few months ago Carol-Ann and I started a joint weight-loss blog, and I have been posting there quite often, but sometimes I feel like writing about things that are so off topic that I know they would be distracting from the purpose of that blog, so I just thought tonight that I would click over here and post again.

We have a very dear friend, Cecil Moe, who is having surgery first thing in the morning. He is 83 and was diagnosed several months ago with colon cancer. Since then, he has been trying some alternative methods of treating this because of his grave concerns about having surgery -- his age, the complications presented by his COPD and sleep apnea, and the alarming number of patients picking up staph and other infections in hospitals. However, he had some hemorrhaging again this past week, and so he has decided to proceed with the surgery tomorrow.

Such a mixture of emotions...hope that the doctors will be able to remove all the cancer, hope that maybe the Lord has already touched and healed him through the prayers in his behalf, fear that the cancer will have spread and become "inoperable," joy because we know he is trusting in Jesus, selfishness in wanting to keep him with us, fear that the operating table will be his threshold to heaven, gladness because of how wonderful that would be for him, sadness because of the terrible loss that would be to us left behind...

6 comments:

Carol-Ann Allen said...

Ah! A new post!
I'm know how distressing this OR day will be for you and the New Grace team as well as Cecil's family! Mom and I will certainly be praying for you all today!

Jeanette said...

Thanks, Carol-Ann! I was shocked that you saw this post! Maybe you have it set to notify you?? Anyway, I called Mom rather late last night to let her know exact time and everything. Right now it is 8:30 a.m. here, so I think the surgery, if it started as planned and went as expected, should be nearing an end. I will do a follow-up post when I have more info on how it all has gone.

Carol-Ann Allen said...

Well, to confess to the truth, I have all pages that I check on a regular basis feed in through bloglines.com. That tells me at one glance if a page has been updated. I check nine or ten regularly so if you have to load the page every time, it's time-consuming and a waste of time because, as you know, I would have been checking yours for three years for naught! :) Some people don't publish the feed for their blog and then you can't check it through bloglines.

Good to hear about Cecil -- Mom phoned me this evening as well with the update!

Carol-Ann Allen said...

P.S.
I like the way you have been blogging on the other blog! Just for the record, I don't mind at all when things get a little "off-topic"! I've been blogging so long on the Tin Roof that I miss it when I don't and it is a bit of a running tally of the things that catch my eye throughout the year. Every year I print it off for Dad and Mum and for Mom as well, so that's why I feel a need to differentiate between the two in my posting! You should feel free to carry on in whatever way you feel works best for you!

Jeanette said...

I'll have to figure out about bloglines.com sometime. I did look at it the other day after clicking on Amrita's link, as I then saw the places she has in her bloglines page, but I can't say it was clear what I needed to do...

I'm glad you like the posting I have done thus far. I think all weight loss and exercise and water can get boring, so it has to be mixed with some other stuff, but hopefully we can keep on the topic at least slightly. It just seemed not quite right to put the post about Cecil over there, so I didn't.

Carol-Ann Allen said...

It wouldn't have mattered to me at all if the post about Cecil was over on the other blog!

The question is ... do you want to participate in two blogs or will that get confusing with time? Perhaps some readers would check one but not the other and communication you would like to relay through your blog would break down. The dilemma I have with this is that I like the header for that blog and I like the header for this one! If you wanted to combine the two onto one site that is very possible. We could use the header for the weight loss blog as a sidebar header. I would continute to participate in the sidebar and comments but you would be the blog author.

You could either keep this blog as is simply for archival reasons or the posts could be transferred to the other one. You could let go of either url and completely rename the one you use or carry on as is with the same url but with the header that actually shows it to be Rocky Mountain Blue.

Let me know :)
Funny to have some decisions to make sometimes that require no rush!