Photo by Trent, taken while hiking
at Emerald Lake in
Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado
03/14/2009



May 29, 2009

I Can't Even Imagine It...

I'm a sort of a worrywart! It is one of those things that got faithfully passed down to me from my Mom, and I suppose she got it from hers! Not that I am different from most other moms. I probably fit somewhere in the middle on the worry scale. I worry more than some and not nearly as much as others!

Memorial Day weekend was different this year at our house. Usually we think of our soldiers far away and thank God for them and the enormous sacrifices they make for us every day. In church, members of the military stand and are honored by the congregation. This year, some people from our church took part in a marathon race and wore special T-shirts in honor of a local soldier who recently died. And we think of Barry's Dad who, long before I knew him, served his country overseas.

This year, I thought of the moms of our soldiers. And here's why...

Last Saturday, Trent and two friends left to hike on The Colorado Trail. They planned to do segments 3 and 4, about 30 miles, over the long weekend. Then the two friends were coming home, and Trent was going to hike on for the next two weeks. And lest the word "trail" mislead you, this is not necessarily easy walking. They carry heavy packs, and sometimes the trail goes up and up and up and up. (I'm sure Trent will report on this trip soon.)

Several days before they left, Trent caught from Barry a real nasty respiratory infection that included a bad cough and laryngitis and, as the doc would say, "generalized malaise and fatigue!" He coughed and hacked by the truck at our driveway, took his inhaler with him, and went anyway.

(To be continued...)

2 comments:

Carol-Ann Allen said...

OK -- I'm waiting!!!!
What happened??

By the way, this current header pic is absolutely gripping! It stops me in my tracks whenever I click on here.

Jeanette said...

Thanks for the comment on my header! It's one of the pictures Trent took on this hike. It was very dark stormy weather, and so the pictures reflect it. He took over 200 of them, and I will have to change this again soon, as there are other really good ones, as well.

Ok, so the next installment is up, just for you!