Photo by Trent, taken while hiking
at Emerald Lake in
Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado
03/14/2009



June 4, 2009

I Can't Even Imagine It....Part 4

Memorial Day is now in the past, but my thoughts about it continue on and are the reason for the title of this series. This year I was thinking about the moms of the young men and women who serve in the military, and I just can't even imagine what they go through.

While Trent was gone on this hike, I found that my mind was quite divided, and I could not really concentrate on the things I should have been doing. I admit that this was mostly because he was not well when he left, and I guess there is no way to turn off the mom-instinct! (Exhibit A -- me, worrywart!)

But compared to the moms of the young people in the military, I was skimming down Easy Street. I knew his plans, I knew his companions, and I knew where he was, for goodness sake! He was carrying a SPOT! And I knew he was not in any particular danger. And yet I still had my subconscious worrywart machine messing up my mind.

Then Memorial Day came, and I realized the enormity of the gift given to us by the moms (and dads) of the young people who serve in our military.

I cannot even imagine it...

.

6 comments:

Carol-Ann Allen said...

VERY true!
Just can't imagine it!

Jean said...

Yea. You're right. You cannot even imagine it.

For 11 months I didn't sleep. For 11 months I was afraid. For 11 months I prayed every waking moment for his safety. For 11 months I cried at the drop of a hat.

The day his dad & I met him at a gas station (he hitched a ride with a buddy) and I wrapped my short arms around his huge neck I thought I would explode with joy.

And then, I thought of those moms whose sons will never come home again.

Thank you, Jesus.

Jean
http://www.jeanmatthewhall.blogspot.

Jeanette said...

Oh, Jean. I know that as far as my imagination can carry me is only a tiny little drop in the bucket of your reality.

Thank you so much for your gift to all of us. My eyes are brimming over as I type. And yes...

Thank you, Jesus.

Renae said...

Jeanette, most of our church is military people. We have moms and children. The dads - almost all of them - are overseas or about to go overseas or are just getting back. I've learned to be grateful to them, and to be grateful for my own life.

Please keep these soldiers and their families active in your prayers.

Carol-Ann Allen said...

Whenever I see a pic like your current header, I can't help but wonder if God sometimes goes to brood over the mountains when the people in the city have wearied and tried Him.

Congrats once again to the photographer.

Carol-Ann Allen said...

Ahem, sis,
Is this a sabbatical or a final post?

Mom called yesterday to pass on the message that Gord and Paula are safely in Liberia WITH their luggage!

Very good!