Photo by Trent, taken while hiking
at Emerald Lake in
Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado
03/14/2009



November 18, 2004

25 years ago....

November 19 is our daughter's birthday. She'll be 25 tomorrow. She's been with us half my life, and what a joy she is to me every day. Let me tell you about her and share with you some memories of 25 years ago...

We were so excited! Our first baby! But things didn't go normally, and Coral was without oxygen for too long during birth. Soon the doctors knew she would have a lifelong struggle. One even told us that after she turned two years old, she wouldn't be cute anymore, and we wouldn't want her. He advised us to put our names on a waiting list for a "home" for her... We couldn't even take in that idea.

The doctors were right about a lot of things... Our baby began non-stop seizures that took a long time to control. As she got older, she didn't pay attention to things, she didn't sit up by herself or crawl or ever learn to walk. She didn't learn to eat properly. She can't read or write, nor can she tell time. Her wheelchair is her constant companion, an extension of herself. She is constantly waiting. She waits for others to get her up in the morning, to take her to the bathroom, to dress and feed her. She waits for others to turn on the TV or put on her music. She waits so patiently.

But they were wrong about so much... After 25 years, we still think she is cute. She has the most wonderful personality, full of strong opinions, likes and dislikes. She loves me unconditionally and always wants to be near me, even when I'm cranky or sharp with her. She doesn't have a clue how to remember a slight or wrong, or even how to recognize them in the first place. She loves music and knows hundreds of songs by heart. She knows about all the members of her favorite groups. She has such pure enjoyment of life. The tiniest things delight her. And she has the most beautiful red hair...

What kind of a person would I be without Coral...if I had decided to put her in a "home?" I don't know, exactly, but I know I am closer to who God wants me to be because of her.

Tonight I'm remembering the past 25 years, and I see that it has been hard but easy, sad but happy, long but short, scary but peaceful... because the joy of the Lord has been and will be our strength.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jeanette:
Walter and I experienced the same "dire predictions" and advice when Jessica was born. The doctors painted the picture black, black, black, and one certain family member advised us to put her in a home and "forget about her"!! Here we are, 20 years later, having proved the doctors wrong in so many ways, as well as having learned and matured in so many ways through the experience of parenting a disabled child.

Jessica, like Coral, spends a great deal of time waiting for others to help her. However, unlike Coral, she does not wait patiently!! At one point, I had a whistling tea kettle and finally found it so irritating, I asked for a silent one, telling Walter, "I have enough calls for my attention as it is - I don't need a tea kettle that calls me too!"

Pat

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Beth said...

I cannot tell you what your post did to me. I am the mother of a developmentally delayed child as well. Julia is 3 years old and the light of our lives (along with her 6 brothers and sisters.) She was diagnosed with Cri du Chat Syndrome, a rare genetic disorder at 3 weeks old and will always require our care. I know that God knew we needed her! Thank you for this beautiful post...Julia will always be lovely to us and my prayer is that we will be able to keep her with us always.

Blessings to you!

Beth