Photo by Trent, taken while hiking
at Emerald Lake in
Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado
03/14/2009



March 18, 2008

Grossly normal!

Hmm...Grossly normal! I'm thinking "wart!" Yep, that looks normal...for a wart. But gross just the same!

A few years back I had the worst time with a wart on my left heel. The thing was deep and nasty, and my doctor was afraid that if she froze it off, she might do some damage to my foot. So we left it alone. I tried everything, including duct tape! I know that sounds odd, but I read that if you stick a piece of duct tape over a wart, its oxygen supply will be cut off, and it will go away. I'm not sure that really did too much to help, but eventually my body got tired of that virus, and it gradually melted away to nothing. Now my foot is grossly normal!

Gross. As a medical transcriptionist, I type that little word every day, because to doctors it means something entirely different.
"The patient's physical exam is grossly normal."
"The legs are without edema and grossly normal."
"On gross examination, the patient is a middle-aged female who appears in no acute respiratory distress."

To doctors, "gross" means something that is visible to the naked eye. A "gross lesion" would be a lesion that is plainly visible without a microscope. (My wart was definitely a "gross lesion" in more ways than one!!) Or "gross hematuria" would be blood that is plainly visible in the urine just by looking at its color. Or "on gross examination" (what he can see by looking at her), the patient is a middle-aged woman who seems to have no difficulty breathing.

There is no such thing as "grossly normal" to God. He is not limited by my outward appearance and does not care a bit whether I look normal or abnormal. He isn't fooled by any of my attempts to fit in and does not value me more if I look good. He has the whole picture, straight down to my heart. And He loves me.

"Man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart." --I Samuel 16:7

7 comments:

Louise said...

I thank you for this post. You are so correct in telling us that there is no such thing as 'grossly normal' to God .. each being is unique, with gifts and talents and even little quirks that make us who we are. There are no mistakes either. What a blessing to know that while we were being formed in our mother's womb, He saw us ... He knew us ... He loved us. As is, He loves us.

Carol-Ann Allen said...

Just loved this post, J!
Make sure you save these in a WORD doc because you never know when a book published through lulu.com could be done -- Devotionals for Transcribers!

Jeanette said...

Yes, Louise! It is amazing that He loves us, no matter the state of our hearts!

Hmm, Carol-Ann. I would have never thought of that! I will let the idea percolate, and in the meantime I will save them to a Word document. We shall see...

Anonymous said...

Hi Jeanette,

I'm a patient who had a cat scan for abdominal problems. The doc said everything looked fine, but when I got my own copy of the report it stated my gallbladder as "grossly" normal. I'm thinking how on earth did the doc overlook this. "grossly" is negative, right? So I googled the term and this post came up. Thank you for your easy to understand explanation. My mind is eased. Isn't the internet great? Nice to meet you.

Virginia - in Los Angeles

Jeanette said...

Hi Virigina! It is so nice to have you visit! I'm glad you found my "grossly normal" post helpful in explaining what the doctor said. Gross means something bad to me, too, so I guess that is why I wrote about it to begin with.

I hope all turns out well for you regarding your abdominal problems.

Renae said...

Hi Jeanette! I appreciated your comment over at Amrita's site. So I popped over here, and I've really enjoyed reading your posts! Such wisdom and insight. Thank you!

Renae
www.renaebrumbaugh.com

Jeanette said...

Thanks, Renae! I'm glad you dropped by.

I love reading Amrita's blog. She has a unique way of sharing her life with all of us, and somehow it is easy to feel as if I know her. She is an amazing lady.