Photo by Trent, taken while hiking
at Emerald Lake in
Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado
03/14/2009



March 18, 2009

Picture of the Day -- 03/18/2009

Canada geese eating up all the tender shoots of winter wheat

I took this picture from the end of our driveway, looking west across the field toward the mountains.
At certain times of the year, we do wish these big birds would go back to Canada where they belong!
Some people say that they seem to have paths in the sky and always fly in the same places, so if you happen to live under that path... well, you might always have droppings on your roof! (I'm thankful to say this has not happened to us yet!)

6 comments:

Renae said...

I'll bet Carol-Ann sent them to remind you of her . . . I'm sure she didn't tell them to eat your wheat, though. :-)

Amrita said...

What a sight Jeranette. Powerful!

I saw a movie about canada geese and a girl...forgot the name.

are you allowed to shoot them?

Jeanette said...

I actually love that they are called "Canada" geese, as Canada is always a reminder of people I love!

We have never shot any of them, Amrita, but we have friends who eat them routinely, so I think we must be allowed to kill them! I heard they are a bit tough and have a distinctive taste, but is it good distinctive or bad distinctive? I don't know! Our friends like them, though.

Carol-Ann Allen said...

WHAT???
You have friends that shoot the geese? AND eat them? Oh, bad! bad!

By the way, I personally think they are States-ian Geese that fly North in the summer! Who was it that decided to take their pick originally and label the monsters the other way around? I'll vouch it was a States-ian!

Kinza calls them Canadian Poopers!

Amrita said...

Sorry i shocked you C-A.

No none of my friends shoot geese,or any other animal for that matter, and if they attempted they would be jailed. LOL

We have very strict hunting laws and if anyone is caught, a huge storm follows.

But let me tell you a secret about 35 years ago my Dad shot a Russian goose.He had his license so he was not jailed. LOL

Jeanette said...

I enjoyed your comments, Amrita! We have strict hunting laws, too. I am sure our friends have proper hunting licenses. At the same time, they have to be careful where they do the shooting. Their house is in the city where it is against the law to fire a gun. However, across the street is where the county begins, and there it is okay. So they can cross the street to the field and be fine with getting dinner!