Photo by Trent, taken while hiking
at Emerald Lake in
Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado
03/14/2009



September 6, 2008

PICTURE OF THE DAY -- 09/07/2008

I'm certainly missing some days on these daily pictures, and it is not because I am reading my favorite books, either! Oh, how I would love to go back in time to the days when I could fill every spare moment with reading and rereading all my favorite books! As has been mentioned on this blog before, I learned to read when I was very little and read everything in sight, even using a flashlight under the covers at night to read that last chapter after I was supposed to be asleep!

Like these...And these...I was totally lost in these stories, completely gone into other fascinating worlds.
And, even now, when I am reading I cannot hear what others say to me. It is just as if they never even said anything at all!
(How frustrating that must be for everyone who has to live with me!)


4 comments:

Renae said...

Wow! Seeing these books makes me want to just go spend a day at the library! But I'm like you . . . who has the time to read anymore?

I tried to get Charis interested in the Elsie Dinsmore books a few years ago, but she wasn't that interested. Maybe she was too young - I think she was 7 or 8. I think I'll try again now that she's 11.

I am the same way when I read. Once in 3rd grade, I missed an entire spelling test because I was absorbed in a book! My teacher was sympathetic, though, and let me take the test later! ;-)

Jeanette said...

Oh, I knew we were sisters, Renae!! I have never actually met another person who read the Elsie books! I just loved them when I was a girl, but I have to admit that I opened one up a few months ago and it wasn't the same!! (Isn't that the way it goes??) And I'm so glad to find someone else who leaves this world when reading a book!

Maybe Charis will get interested at 11. I'm trying to remember how old I was, and I think maybe 10 or 11, too.

I can't tell you how excited I was when I came across my first Elsie book in a secondhand store! I'm sure I was a spectacle to behold, and it's a miracle Barry owned up to being with me! :o

Louise said...

I love the Elsie Dinsmore books! I too used to read at night, under the covers, with a flashlight. I still read a lot; have a book from the Library now that I need to get to ... not feeling well the past two weeks has slowed everything down it seems.
Bless you!

Jeanette said...

Hi, Louise!! I'm so glad to hear from you again! I have been so buried with everything that I have not been keeping up with things as I should. I'm sorry you have been ill again, and I hope you will soon be completely better.

Isn't it something that today I have found out that two of my friends actually know what I'm talking about when I say "The Elsie Books!" I am so pleased!

There is nothing quite like the cozy, sneaky, I-can't-wait-to-find-out-how-this-story-ends feeling of reading under the covers with a flashlight!! :D