Photo by Trent, taken while hiking
at Emerald Lake in
Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado
03/14/2009



September 15, 2008

PICTURE OF THE DAY -- 09/15/2008

Ptarmigan
It does not take too much trouble to hide if you are a ptarmigan!

On Saturday, Trent went with a group to hike on Quandry, one of Colorado's "fourteeners," which is a mountain with a peak that exceeds 14,000 feet above sea level. He came back with lots of pictures, and I plan to post some of them from time to time, maybe even change my header picture again!

Several of the hikers nearly stepped on these birds because they looked so much like the rocks and did not move until the last minute! When Trent was describing the birds, Gord knew without even seeing the picture exactly what they were.

(I had to ask Gord how to spell "ptarmigan" and was all set ready to type a "T" as the first letter! That 'P" is silent!)


4 comments:

Renae said...

I had to really look for those birds! There are two of them, right? Or am I missing some?

Anonymous said...

Gord continually expands our education...

Today we had a tree removal guy come to tell us how many grand he's going to charge to grind up a big tree in the back yard that was felled by the wind last night (thankfully it cushioned against another big tree and not on our wee bungalow!) He got preoccupied with the fact that our neighbours have two ginkgo trees on their property. I said, wisely, to Bruce, "I know!" How? Gord told me so years ago!

Jeanette said...

You found them both, Renae! There was another one, but he got cropped out by me :)

Well, Redhead, we know who you must be! What with you and Blondie, this makes my blog MUCH busier!

Yes, I call him "Brainy Bro" and he really deserves the title! I am the ho-hum middle child sandwiched between the two of you!! :D

Carol-Ann Allen said...

You bring out the foolish banter and the brain in us, oh 'umble Middle Child, because it is so gratifying when you laugh and applaud!