Photo by Trent, taken while hiking
at Emerald Lake in
Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado
03/14/2009



September 20, 2008

PICTURE OF THE DAY -- 09/20/2008

This morning I was working at my computer when a low, steady hum pulled me out of the patient records and into the real world! I grabbed my camera and hurried out the front door... Just as I thought! There is the top of the tractor just coming up out of the valley in the middle of the field...
Hmmm...I wonder who is in the tractor?

Look at that freshly-turned earth? Isn't it the most beautiful thing?

There! He has turned around and is going back the other way! How I love the sound of a tractor going up and down the field! It is a steady constant reassuring presence, humming up and down outside our house...
Look how the driver has to sit facing forward but has to keep his head turned back to watch where the implement is going? That would turn me into an absolute corkscrew!

Who can that driver be??It's my Trent!



5 comments:

Carol-Ann Allen said...

OK! This is the first of a series of posts I asked for a LONG time ago! You probably can't make the "series" one right after another, but you can add to them with time and group them together through the post labels. I have never seen all that Trent and Barry do. I hear snips of this and that -- but I've never seen any of it! Great post!

So I am surrounded by the hum of the 401 while you get the hum of the tractor in the field! The tranquilty-seeker that I am says your setting is wonderful! But a further reality is that I am a mega-city girl so I've also got it made too! There is something almost magical, though, about that lone tractor buzzing through the fields churning up the dirt!

Jeanette said...

I'm glad you like the post, Carol-Ann! I was kind of pleased with how it turned out myself! I will try to keep that "series" in mind. Some of what Barry and Trent do is seasonal and only gets done once a year; other stuff is more regular.

What Trent is doing here is turning the soil because Curt (his boss) is getting ready to plant the winter wheat, so this is an annual event, although the fields get plowed other times of the year for other reasons.

I feel like I have the best of several worlds. We live in a unique part of our city -- fields that are still farmed in the middle of urban sprawl. Our house is surrounded by fields, but you just drive to the end of my street to get into the city. A 20-minute drive takes you to the cluster of high-rise buildings you can see in the distance in picture #1. Not even 5 minutes to the nearest hospital. 30 minutes, and you can be in the foothills where the mountain pictures were taken. I'm just not sure that there is anywhere I would rather be living...

Louise said...

I so enjoyed this post Jeanette ... you live in a beautiful place. We're in a subdivision, but have some really good neighbors .. for that I am thankful.

Jeanette said...

I've seen pictures of your yard, Louise, and it is beautiful and looks so restful. Good neighbors are a blessing, too!

Renae said...

John Deere. Impressive. :-)