Photo by Trent, taken while hiking
at Emerald Lake in
Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado
03/14/2009



December 19, 2008

Another Update...

Elmo giving Coral a good morning hug
(He sleeps all night in Coral's wheelchair parked by her bed)

Tonight I have been catching up on blogland happenings that I have been missing out on for a couple of weeks now, and how encouraging it has been for me! Thank you to all of you!

This is just to update you on us, and I'm glad to report that we may actually have turned the corner. For the last 2 weeks, I have kept Coral home because she was having so much discomfort in sitting. She would lean this way and that in her chair trying to get comfortable, and it was much better for her to lie in bed longer each morning than to sit in her wheelchair for such long hours every day.

Yesterday was the Christmas party for her day program, so I called up the transportation lady and asked to have a pickup for Coral, and off she went, all bundled up against the 14-degree weather. When she balked, I promised that it was only for one day, and then she would be staying home again until after Christmas. She came home happy and animated with a note that said that there had been no problems.

At bedtime, she told me her foot (her weight-bearing foot) was hurting, and it looked all funny and cramped up again to me. I think that might have been due to having to use her abdominal muscles in the evening. Something happens in her back or hip that goes all the way down her leg. I was worried about her and checked several times during the night, but all seemed to be okay.

But then this morning as soon as I saw her face, I knew she was having tummy trouble. We began several hours of some nasty heaving from an empty stomach. What was that about? I thought maybe she did not get enough to eat yesterday, and it seems I was right, as just a few sips of weak Jello water put an end to that. As it turned out, she had a very fun day watching her TV programs with Mom sitting beside her doing fun stuff on her laptop. Lots of kissing and talking about how cute Elmo is!!

I have been feeling so thankful today. Coral is feeling better every day. The heave-ho episode was over so quickly. Even more wonderful, it did not happen overnight when she might have choked and aspirated fluid. And a little (actually, not so little) glitch in someone else's day made it so that I could just sit and have fun with Coral. Last night, much to my surprise, there were no dictation files from the doctor. He usually uploads them to me at the end of his workday.

So I called his office this morning... "Did the doctor work yesterday? ... He did?? ... Yes, I'll wait to talk to him." Oh, no! This could not be good! He told me that when he tried to send me the work, he got a nasty error message on his computer -- a message that included words like "corrupted" and "reformat"... Arghh! He had worried over it all night. I don't know how he will handle the redoing of the records for those 26 patients he saw, but I do know that today I was free to do what was good for both Coral and me. And for that I am so thankful!

Right now, we are all sitting companionably in the office, Barry at his computer and me at mine. Barry has records (yes, the old vinyl discs) going on the player by his computer. Coral is happy in her wheelchair with her headphones plugged into the amp. Elmo is overjoyed to be sitting on the trashcan looking at Coral! Every now and then she leans toward me for a kiss. She tells us to look at Elmo so we can see how cute he is! She sees Najee lying on the floor and says, "Mom!" in that voice that I know means "Look at Najee!" I tell her what a good job of looking at things she is doing! And she beams at me!

Yes, today I am very, very thankful!

UPDATE: Saturday afternoon -- Well, it was a short reprieve, but it came just when I needed it! Last night the doc uploaded Friday's dictation (19 patients) and this morning he has sent me Thursday's which he had to do all over again (26 patients). Guess what I am spending my weekend doing! But Coral is giggling and happy in her room watching all of her favorite stuff, so we are getting back to normal just in time for Christmas!


11 comments:

Nancy said...

You are truly and amazing woman Jeanette, and the word that comes to me is " Blessed are the pure in heart for they shall see God." Have a wonderful and blessed Christmas.

Jeanette said...

Nancy, "pure in heart" describes Coral to a tee! What a wonderful promise! She has such an undercurrent of joy almost all the time,I believe she sees Him now. Thanks for the Christmas wishes, and I pray the same for you.

Carol-Ann Allen said...

My oh my!
I agree, Coral's sweetness runs through and through. Somehow, however, methinks Nancy was referring to Coral's Mama and with that also, I completely concur!

Nancy said...

You're right Carol-Ann, I was referring to both, but most particularly in this season of her life, and the service she pours out your sister shines. Jeanette one day will be so astounded when Jesus will say to her 'Thank you for loving Me so tenderly and deeply , as I was in disguise in your beloved Coral. Well done, good and faithful beloved.

Carol-Ann Allen said...

Ah, good! That is a true "blessing", Nancy, and I am so thankful to hear it poured out to Jeanette!

Jeanette said...

I just got home and have been reading your comments with amazement, Carol-Ann and Nancy! I'm weepy again, and it feels like I have been spending an awful lot of time doing this the last few weeks! You are such a blessing and encouragement to me, more than you can know, sent as God's special present for me this Christmas! Thank you with all my heart, and I pray that Jesus will one day be able to say "Well done" to me.

Renae said...

Ahhh, I have no doubt, Jeanette, that you will hear those words. I ditto Nancy's thoughts. You are always so generous with your praise and encouragement of others, but you have no idea that YOU ARE SUCH an encouragement, just with the sweet spirit that flows through every word you type on this blog.

Coral is truly an angel - though I've never met her, I know. And God had to pick out a very special Mama for her, and He found one! I may have told you this before, but I'll say it again. I have a feeling, Jeanette, that you are one of His favorite daughters!

Renae said...

P.S. So glad Coral is doing better, and I'm so glad you got to have such a special day together!

Jeanette said...

Oh, Renae, thank you so, so much! You will never know how much your words of encouragement mean to me. I just feel like you have put the most beautiful wrapping and bow on this wonderful Christmas present!

Louise said...

A hearty Amen to the comments of these women who know and love you Jeanette. You are a woman after God's own heart and it shows in each sentence you write and the pictures you post of your beautiful Coral. Her picture made me smile when I saw it, what a blessing it is to know you this way.

Jeanette said...

Thank you so much, Louise! You have been such an encourager and a Godly influence on me through your blog and your comments. I am truly blessed to have you as my blog-friend!