Photo by Trent, taken while hiking
at Emerald Lake in
Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado
03/14/2009



December 23, 2008

My Dad -- Part 4

My father first met my mother, Margaret, at the beginning of 1935 when he was 27 and she was 17. About a year earlier, she had accepted an invitation from her friend Iris to attend a service at the People's Church in Toronto, and she trusted Jesus as her Savior that night. A few months later, she and another friend decided to go and check out the nearby Sunday school they had heard about. They were warmly welcomed, and my mother was assigned to the teenage girls' class where Cecil Hodgson was the teacher. There were some mischief-makers in that class who loved to give the teacher a hard time, and one Sunday a girl named Florence asked him very deliberately, "Mr. Hodgson, don't you think Miss English is pretty?" (I wish I had been a little fly on the wall!)
Here she is around that time!

I remember once my father told us about his first impressions of my mother. She had been attending his Sunday school class, and one day she went to him and asked him when the church prayer meeting was held. And he said to himself, "That's the kind of question a girl should be asking!"

But lots of changes were going on. My mother began teaching a Sunday school class herself, my father was away at times in the city, and so they saw each other only infrequently at church. Then one day my mother and her friend Gladys met my father and his friend Fred on the street and stopped to chat awhile. My father invited the girls to go with him and Fred to the next meeting of the mission organization he was considering joining, and so they agreed and went in Fred's car -- the men in the front, and the girls in the back. Not really a date!

Time passed, and my father did indeed join that mission organization, planning to leave for Africa. In the book she made for her grandchildren, my mother wrote: "By this time, I knew he had an interest in me that I didn't feel I could return, and although I had thoughts of the mission field, they were at that time vague, not concrete. I was far from ready, and any thoughts I did have didn't include Grandpa!"

Here's a little story I love, because it tells so much about each of my parents! Soon after this, my father invited my mother to have supper with him at the Stoodleigh Restaurant downtown. This was a special event, because eating out was not an everyday thing then. She met him there, but after the usual greetings, he told her he was sorry but he could not take her to supper because he had nothing in his pocket! She knew she had enough money to pay for supper, but after a few quick thoughts decided it would not be the thing to do, so she did not offer. They walked round and round in the ample space in the nearby Union Station and finally went home! And it was just as she expected! Everyone wanted to know what she had for supper! But somehow, the incident made her think more highly of my father, not less. It was not until much later that she found out that he had money when he invited her, but a sudden need had come up at the Mission headquarters, and he felt the Lord wanted him to give what he had.

In her little book for the grandchildren, my mother wrote: "Later, one rainy evening, Grandpa walked home with me. We stopped by the lamppost in front of my house, and under a dripping umbrella, Grandpa asked me to marry him. And Grandma said, 'No.'"

(Oh, how I loved to hear my mother tell us these stories when we were sitting around the supper table so many years ago!)

(To be continued...)


21 comments:

Renae said...

Forget the book. This needs to be a movie! And you are so clever at leaving us hanging, wanting more!

Carol-Ann Allen said...

It would make quite a screen show, wouldn't it, Renae! In my mind's eye it feels a bit like "It's a Wonderful Life"!

Jeanette said...

Well, that's a thought I had not had -- making a movie -- but I can see what you mean! I was thinking while writing this installment that when I was a girl I spent a lot of time with my nose buried in Grace Livingstone Hill books (Carol-Ann knows it!) but this story has those beat! (Mind you, my mother would have made a GREAT heroine for one of those books!)

Carol-Ann Allen said...

Ha! Grace Livingstone Hill must have known Mom!

Do you remember when she had a nice dress and she cut it apart and made you a dress from the outer material and made me one from the lining? No pattern -- just material and an idea and a treadle machine!

She was still up to those tricks when Kinza was a little girl. I have carefully packed away a cute little summer dress she made for her out of about two inches of fabric -- and it was even MODEST!

:)

Carol-Ann Allen said...

In fact, it was under great delusion of "thrift" that I bought a sewing machine!

Somehow I thought I could make something outta nothing like Mom was able to do! Ha Ha! I have long since found out that it is MUCH cheaper for me to buy clothes ready-made!

Jeanette said...

Love those stories of yours, Carol-Ann! You are so right about that dress she cut apart to make two for us! Two very resourceful and skillful people, our Mum and Dad! I have had so many amazing thoughts about their lives, and especially how they must have FELT, while writing this little series.

Carol-Ann Allen said...

I will never forget the feeling of standing there like a manikin, wearing a dress filled with pins and feeling the cold blades of the scissors as she cut out the armholes!

Mind you, she had a greater task in catching me for one of those tailor sessions than we have in catching Mini when she's chasin' through the house after a bath!

Jeanette said...

Ha ha ha!! :) I can still feel those cold scissors myself!! But I hadn't thought of them in a long, long time! I guess I wasn't like you, C-A! I was always eager to have a new dress and was pretty patient about the fitting sessions. But you didn't dare move, because if the pins didn't poke you, the scissors would!

Carol-Ann Allen said...

Ah, you are at your computer!
I was beginning to think I was the only one alive in Blogger world on this the 'umble 23rd night of December!

Our basement has been starting to resemble the innerts of our garage so I am finally in bull stance and meeting it with horns and brute force: I lower my head, snort, and heave the pile of boxes from one side of the room to the other! Nothing much is getting disposed of or truly dealt with but at least I'm hoofing the ground and letting off steam!

Bruce brought me some food -- hence my blog browsing! Now back to charging at the red flag!

Renae said...

Oh, I used to spend hours reading Grace Livingston Hill, as well! I loved her books. I love that era, when ladies were really LADIES!

Jeanette said...

You are just too much, Carol-Ann! What a picture you do paint! My basement is a disaster area, probably worse than yours. Renae wanted a garage-cleaning party, but I need a basement-clearing crew even more badly!

Jeanette said...

Hi, Renae! Carol-Ann and I think this blog is for instant messaging, it seems! :D I think Grace Livingston Hill and my mother were soul mates, as they thought alike about many things! Isn't it funny how many things we find out are alike about us!

Louise said...

Absolutely love this story and I agree whole-heartedly ... it should be a movie .. it would make a wonderful movie! My love to you all!

Jeanette said...

Wow! I'm intimidated by a book, and we have already progressed to a movie!! But I love it that you ladies are enjoying this true-life story of my parents, and I'm so glad I decided to write about it!

Renae said...

Your mother is a beauty, by the way. Now I see why she has such lovely daughters!

Renae said...

By the way, since we're using this as an instant messaging post, why can't I comment on Carol-Ann's new blog?

Loved the piggyback story, Carol-Ann! I may link to it from my blog - perhaps this weekend. If I remember. My memory ain't so hot these days.

Will y'all still be my friends if I say ain't?

Renae said...

Hi Louise. I've spoken to everyone else, didn't want to leave you out! ;-)

Jeanette said...

"Ain't" is okay with me!

Carol-Ann does not have the comments enabled, but at the top is the email link to send comments. When I do that, she usually replies to my email. We just don't see what everyone else says.

I love that last post, too. It's an excellent illustration. I think a link to it is a great idea!

Amrita said...

Today would have beenmy parent 's 50th wedding anniversary.

Blessed Christmas to you and your beautiful family

Carol-Ann Allen said...

Wow!
This comment column is almost as long as Santa's belt!

Hi Amrita, Louise, Renae (and Jeanette!) Seems like we've dropped in to see the mountains from your window and have a cuppa coffee and play with Coral, Elmo and LapCat!

OK!
Comments are back on! Can you believe it ... I reinstated comments before comin' over here and seeing all this chatter! That's good! I'm glad it worked that way!

Jeanette said...

Well, this is the most comments on any post for me (8 of them mine counting this one! Ha ha!) I'm glad you put the comments back on, Carol-Ann, at least for now.