Photo by Trent, taken while hiking
at Emerald Lake in
Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado
03/14/2009



December 8, 2008

My Dad -- Part 1

Today would have been my father's 101st birthday, so this week I am remembering him, and while I'm doing that, I am going to share a little bit of his life with you, too.
The older I get, the more clearly I see what an unusual and amazing man he was!

These are my grandparents who died before I was born...
Charlotte and Clarence Hodgson

Their third son was my father, Cecil, who was born on December 8, 1907.
Clare and Frank were older, and Norman and Arthur were younger, so my Dad was right in the middle. However, Norman died before he was a year old.

I don't know much about my father's growing up years, and I don't have any pictures of when he was a boy. I wonder about that sometimes. What was his home like? I'm sure there were some very lively times with so many boys in the house! And from what I saw when they all were older, they must have been a very intelligent and opinionated bunch of teenagers!

My father accepted Jesus as His Savior as a young man. He never did anything by halves. It was all or nothing, and this decision meant his all. He wrote, "Shortly after the Lord saved me, I dedicated myself, as I thought, to the ministry, but I did not think that God had called me to be a missionary." He heard many stirring speakers who urged him to take the good news about Jesus to another part of the world, but he needed more than to be told by others what to do. He did not believe that God had called him to be a missionary.

Soon after that, in 1929 when my Dad was 21 years old, he married a lovely Christian girl...Cecil and Madeleine Hodgson
He looks so happy!

(To be continued tomorrow...)



4 comments:

Renae said...

Well, this is going to be an exciting week! More material for your book, I suppose . . .

I can't wait!

Carol-Ann Allen said...

Renae is incorrigible, you know!
But she's got an excellent point!

We are planning to drive tomorrow in the direction of Markdale and leave just a bit of the trip for Wednesday since the weather prediction for Wednesday is not great.

It hasn't been decided yet if Mom is going to hang her hat here with Kinza and Mini for a couple of days or if Kinza is coming with us and Mini will go hang out with Grandma and Ruth and Shadow!

Can you imagine Shadow and Mini under the same roof for two days?

At any rate, it was a mutual agreement that Mom shouldn't try the trip.

Amrita said...

k you for sharing about your Mom and Dad would really like to read these posts.

I love yor parent 's photo, that style of dress.

Jeanette said...

Well, Renae, you just never know! Especially with Carol-Ann backing you up! :D

Carol-Ann, thanks for the update on what you are planning for the trip for Nori's funeral. I hope that all will go well for your traveling, as well as at home while you are gone.

I'm glad you like the pictures and the posts about my parents, Amrita. My mother's name starts with M, too, but she is not the lady in the picture with my dad as the post tomorrow will explain...