Photo by Trent, taken while hiking
at Emerald Lake in
Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado
03/14/2009



December 7, 2008

One More In Heaven...

Yesterday we got the sad/glad news that my brother-in-law, Nori, went home to heaven early in the morning. He is the husband of my older sister, Meryl. Here he is in 1949 before he married my sister...

And here is a more recent picture of him.
Nori has not been very well for quite a while now, but this last illness was unexpected, and so this is a shock for everyone.

For most of my life, I have lived far away from Meryl and her family, but the times we have visited each other briefly have always been happy ones. I remember Nori as a quiet faithful man with a wonderful sense of humor. I loved to hear him tell a story, because his whole face sparkled with fun! He loved his family, and he loved the Lord.

December 8 would be my father's 101st birthday if he were still with us. He was the first of my immediate family circle to get to heaven, and now Nori has joined him. I'm so thankful that God blessed both of them with a very short trip from here to there.

My posts this coming week are going to be about my Dad in honor of his birthday,
so you will hear more about Meryl very soon!

7 comments:

Renae said...

I'm so sorry for you and for Meryl, and like you said, so glad for Nori. Will be praying for Meryl, that God will carry her through the coming days.

Carol-Ann Allen said...

Thanks for writing this post, Jeanette! I'm sitting here with big tears and thoughts. Throughout my entire life, babyhood to now, there has always been "Dad and Mom", "Gord and Jeanette" and "Meryl and Nori". Those groups of three were already well-established before I turned up. Over the years, like any aging face, the caricature has altered slightly as the "brother and sister" combo branched away from each other to draw in a sister-in-law and a brother-in-law and I joined the group of couplets by becoming "Bruce and Carol-Ann"! Expansion has been fine! But having the sheers of the continuum of life insist on pruning our family tree, starting at the top with Pops and now the eldest son-in-law, is both sad and sobering. Last Sunday Nori drove to church and stood around talking with his friends. This Sunday he is with the Lord! Meryl is left, surrounded by her children and grandchildren and great-grandchildren! Life is awesome!

Jeanette said...

Thank you so much for your prayers, Renae. I talked to Meryl last evening. She is such a strong person, but I'm not sure any of life's experiences can properly prepare us for the loss of our other half.

Carol-Ann, you have said it exactly, and I won't even try to add to it. I'm so thankful for my family!

Nancy said...

My thoughts and prayers wre with you and your family Jeanette.

Louise said...

May our Father give peace, strength and comfort to this precious family. What a blessing to know this man is in the presence of our Savior!

Amrita said...

am so sorry for your loss. But praise God Nori is in heaven with the saints who have gone on before.

Jeanette said...

Thank you so much, Nancy, Louise, and Amrita! Your thoughts and prayers are very much appreciated.