Photo by Trent, taken while hiking
at Emerald Lake in
Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado
03/14/2009



June 11, 2008

PICTURE OF THE DAY -- 06/11/2008

Bob and his plane

This little airplane is the way we made any significant travels in Liberia when I was growing up. We walked or used a motorcycle in our immediate area but to get to the city and other places far from us, we flew in this airplane (or sometimes another one like it). If you zoom in on the picture, you can see that right behind the propeller are the words "Wings of Service for Jesus." That was exactly right. Bob was a missionary pilot and did so many things in service to others. He helped other missionaries get where they needed to go, delivered mail and other supplies, and saved many lives by flying very sick or wounded people to the hospital.

My mother never enjoyed flying, especially in little planes like this one. She always said she felt like she was up on a postage stamp! I think I may have inherited my dislike of flying from her, but nevertheless tomorrow I am flying, not on a little plane like this but on a big one, to go to Canada to see my mother and Carol-Ann and her family for a few days. Which means I am not writing any more now, as I have absolutely a ton of things still to be done.

(Hopefully I will be able to keep up with my "Picture of the Day" while I am gone.)

7 comments:

Carol-Ann Allen said...

Do you remember the time Bob loaded the plane with glass louvers for the clinic windows and then put his wife in the plane, bringing her along for a visit with us? He had loaded the glass panel by panel not realizing how much weight he was putting in the plane! Then he wondered all the way why things were sluggish and it was difficult to climb up over the treetops! As he UNLOADED the plane it started to sink in what he had done and he just went wild! He ran through the trees, whacking every tree with a club and getting rid of his anger and fear! He was just a kid. Look at him! How could someone so young manage to have accomplished so much by that age! Married to a sweet gal and a jungle pilot!

Carol-Ann Allen said...

PS!
See ya tomorrow!
We've been dumped with a huge project at work but I think I've managed to get things in line to take Monday and Tuesday off! Kinza and I will be at the airport to get you!

Jeanette said...

Yes, Carol-Ann! I do remember that! He was so upset that he had put his wife at risk, more than anything else. Being a jungle pilot takes guts, ingenuity, attention to detail, mechanical ability, and a lot more than I realize, I'm sure. Because he was his own mechanic, any slacking off on his part would have put himself and anyone flying with him in terrible danger. Yes, he was just a kid at that time, in his mid 20s I think.

"See ya tomorrow!" That has such a lovely ring to it! See you guys at the airport!

I'm so glad you will be able to take some time off while I am there. Mum told me about your project. All things will work out well, I'm sure, even if we have to work!

Renae said...

Oh, I'm so happy for you! Enjoy your visit - all of you!

Nancy said...

Have a wonderful time visiting your family. I am sorry I will miss you by a hair since I am coming to see Carol-Ann and Mini and the fam on the 20th. Bless you !

Carol-Ann Allen said...

The Allens are havin' all their fun in one week! Looking forward to your visit too, Nancy!

Carol-Ann Allen said...

Woh! The 20th! I gotta wash Mini's little face 'cause she's gonna be KISSED! Yikes!