Photo by Trent, taken while hiking
at Emerald Lake in
Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado
03/14/2009



August 6, 2008

PICTURE OF THE DAY -- 08/07/2008

My Bear Bowl
(And here is an extra-special bonus! Najee took a nap on this cloth and left some of her fur behind, just as a treat for you!)

I don't remember where this bowl came from or why it was considered mine, but it was my special porridge bowl. No one else ever got to use it, that I can remember.

We did not have oatmeal or cream of wheat except on very special occasions. Our porridge was homemade! My father had a hand grinder that was used to grind rice into little pieces, and we had that every morning for breakfast. It cooked up just like any other porridge and could be lumpy or smooth depending on the skill of the person making it.

My Bear Bowl helped me through many dreary breakfasts of porridge!





Here is another view of my special Bear Bowl!










And here is the bottom. I have not been able to find out anything about the company that made my bowl.



(If you were to look really closely, you would see that my bowl has not survived all its travels in one piece, and the head has been carefully reattached!

.

10 comments:

Carol-Ann Allen said...

This has been like waking up to a little friend this morning! I remember the wee bear as if I'd seen it yesterday. I had a love/hate relationship with that bear! It set you in the category of Joseph with his coat of many colours but it was so incredibly adorable that you couldn't stay mad at it long and I considered myself lucky that it lived at our house! :)

Renae said...

What an adorable bowl! You should ask your mother if she remembers why you had it.

But yes, Carol-Ann, I can see why you compared Jeanette to Joseph! What a special bowl.

Jeanette said...

I can't remember being a jealous guard of that bowl, and I really don't know why no one else tried to use it! I can understand the Joseph comparison, too, though! I apologize, C-A, as I never intentionally meant to hoard it or anything.

It is an adorable bowl, I know, and I have never seen another one quite like it. I think I shall have to give Mum a call!

Carol-Ann Allen said...

Ha! Sympathy! Oooo-ee! If I squeeze a little harder will I git a little more?!

Actually, I always thought that bowl was given to you by one of the other missionaries ... either the Petersons or Maria or Elfrieda. It was most definitely yers, girl, and no one reached for it because we were all too scared we'd drop it and have to say, "Alas, master, for it was borrowed!" Ha Ha! Do you remember Pops quoting that verse?

Jeanette said...

I surely do! Ha ha! And it is true that it is a big, fat "alas" if you break something you borrowed!

But I don't think I got it from them. It is very possible that it was a gift from Mum's Dad or another relative before you were born...perhaps the year we were in Canada when I was a baby. It clearly says on the bottom that it was made in Canada, and I just don't think the other missionaries would have had something like that to give. I think I should ask Mum.

Renae said...

For Carol-Ann:

(violins playing)

Oh, you poor, poor neglected little thing! It is sooooo hard being the youngest. I guess by the time you came along all the good gifts were taken.

You can cry on my shoulder, dear. There, there, you poor little thing.

(wiping away a compassionate tear.)

Carol-Ann Allen said...

(Sniff, sniff!)
I'll be (sniff) OK! All I need is a little sleep! (dab,dab!) Things always seem better in the morning! (sigh!)
:)

Jeanette said...

You two are so funny!

I have no idea what I am going to post about tonight! Any requests or curiosity about anything on the shelf???

Renae said...

I'm curious about Uncle Wiggly.

I'm also curious about what LOOKS to be a liquor flask ?!? in the front right corner, next to an upside down cup. ;-/

Not that I know what a liquor flask looks like.

LOL

Jeanette said...

Ha ha ha, Miss Innocence! The liquor flask it will be, then! Carol-Ann will get a good laugh out of that one, and so will you when you see what it really is!!