Photo by Trent, taken while hiking
at Emerald Lake in
Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado
03/14/2009



August 9, 2008

PICTURE OF THE DAY -- 08/10/2008

Aluminum Juicer

What I wouldn't give now for an orange or grapefruit or lime, totally ripe, picked off the tree outside the back door! We didn't know how good we had it when we were kids!
This juice squeezer is just like the one we had. Ours was used to make orange and lime juice. We hardly ever made grapefruit juice, and I think it must have been because the grapefruits were so huge they would never have fit in this squeezer! We cut the fruit in half and put one half into the open squeezer......lowered the handle and pressed until all the juice was squeezed out of the fruit and drained down into the bottom through those little slits. Then we poured the juice out the spout into a glass and went on squeezing fruit until we had as much as we wanted. And it was SO sweet!

The whole thing came apart for easy cleaning!

We drank the orange juice or limeade out of aluminum glasses like these...(That sounds like more than enough aluminum than we should have been having, if you ask me!)




4 comments:

Louise said...

We didn't have the juicer, but I've seen them; we did have aluminum glasses ... what else would you use with 7 kids under the same roof?

Happy Honeymoon!

Renae said...

You had all those fruits growing right outside your door? That makes my mouth water, just thinking about it!

Have fun on your honeymoon!

Carol-Ann Allen said...

This is certainly a nostalgia post! How many limes did we squeeze over the years with that! Funny how you and I have so many identical items for nostalgia! My "shelf" is the hearth by the fireplace. I have a kerosene lantern there and several flat irons with a removeable handle. Plus a pile of larger rocks and wood pieces which somehow makes it all feel right! Don't ask why!

Jeanette said...

Those aluminum glasses were pretty much indestructible, so for 7 kids it sure made sense, Louise! I saw some spanking new ones in a store while I was gone, and I debated about getting them, and then I said, "No, ours were beat up like the ones I have, so mine will do just fine!"

Yes, Renae! We really did have those right outside our door, and also a coconut tree, the pineapple patch, guava trees, passion fruit vines, and papaya trees. It seems like a dream now, when I think about it. Also down behind the chicken house we had a banana patch. We did not have to go far to get fruit, that was for sure.

I like your shelf, Carol-Ann. And since you mentioned the irons, I'm going to make my next post....