Photo by Trent, taken while hiking
at Emerald Lake in
Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado
03/14/2009



August 7, 2008

PICTURE OF THE DAY -- 08/08/2008

4711

Just one whiff of this, and I am transported back in time to my childhood!

My parents worked with an interdenominational international mission organization, and that meant that on our little mission compound we had Canadians (our family), Americans who taught school, and Swiss and German nurses who operated the clinic. We called all our parents' coworkers "aunties" and "uncles."

On hot days when the rest of us were just plain sweaty, the German and Swiss aunties smelled cool and wonderful, sort of spicy and sweet! We admired the cherished bottle of body spray from a distance and just loved to be near them!
One day I found a bottle of 4711 in a store near here and was immediately cooled and refreshed just by my memory! So of course I bought it, and here it sits on my Memories Shelf. And some days, like today, I spritz a little on just because!

Here's the description of 4711 that I found at the website of a store that sells it now:
"Launched by the design house of Muelhens in 1772, 4711 is classified as a refined, fruity fragrance. This unisex scent possesses a blend of citrus oils lemon and orange, light floral rose, and sandalwood oil. Recommended for daytime wear."

Created in 1772 and still being sold today at a reasonable price!
(And that is the story of the interesting-looking bottle on my shelf!)

3 comments:

Renae said...

Ha ha! That is a far stretch from liquor! But I'll bet if you read the ingredients, it has alcohol in it!

I have never heard of this stuff. You've got me curious now. I may have to google it and order some!

Carol-Ann Allen said...

Well, now I have to go and part with a dabble of MY gold from MY nostalgia bottle upstairs before I scoot off to work! Isn't it amazing how fragrances can transport us back to "places" in our lives! I also have a bottle of perfume from my days at Auntie Mollie's house and I open it ever now and then to remember the magic-of-Canada-feel I had when I first came here! Works every time! Mind you, maybe THAT's the bottle I should sniff this morning! Not such a magical day here today!

Jeanette said...

I looked all over that bottle, and it has no ingredient list, but I KNOW it has a high alcohol content!

What scent did Auntie Mollie have, C-A? And I hope your day turns more magical than you sound like you are expecting...