Photo by Trent, taken while hiking
at Emerald Lake in
Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado
03/14/2009



August 21, 2008

PICTURE OF THE DAY -- 08/22/2008

Cute Kitten!

One day a couple of years ago, this coat was on the floor, and the kitten found out how warm and cozy it was and just enjoyed a blissful sleep!

It used to be that every year -- sometimes more than once a year -- we had a bunch of kittens romping around in our house. What great fun it is to watch kittens scamper about, tussling with each other and swatting at imaginary playthings! The kitten thing lost a bit of its glow, though, when they clawed their way to the top of the drapes and shredded the edges of books on the shelf. And the whole scenario got real clouded and tarnished when I had to walk in the kitchen by scraping my feet along the floor so that I would not step on one of the furballs! Too much of a good thing, that's what it was.

So now all the cats have had their shave-shave, cut-cut, snip-snip, and stitch-stitch procedures and are settling into old age peacefully without any pesky kittens to keep them young.

But sometimes I miss those kittens, especially when I come across pictures like this one!

4 comments:

Carol-Ann Allen said...

I know this feeling of missing the kittens so well! My Honey is allergic to cats so we have ended up with the Shitzu. I would have a hard time giving Mini up now, but the cat and kitten thing is deep in my veins! One day I was parking my car in a large parking lot and noticed to ladies looking tenderly and deeply into a box they were carrying -- I immediately thought: they've got KITTENS..I know that look! I went into the store and, sure enough, the talk between the cashiers was all about the two ladies and their incredible box of kittens!

Jeanette said...

I like that story, C-A! Yes, there is nothing like kittens, it's true (if you are a cat person, that is!) I want one more cat, but it has to be like Douglas (my special cat when I was kid), and I'm not settling for anything else! This may take years, as that kind of cat is snapped up quickly in the shelters, I hear!

Renae said...

I love kittens, too. The only problem is, they don't STAY kittens! ;-)

Jeanette said...

Only too true, Renae!

(I'm glad you gave in and left a comment, even though you are not a cat person!)