Photo by Trent, taken while hiking
at Emerald Lake in
Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado
03/14/2009



August 21, 2008

PICTURE OF THE DAY -- 08/21/2008

On my Memories Shelf sits this beautiful wooden container.It was specially made by my father on his lathe. I'm not sure if that lathe could also be used with metal, but I think so, because from somewhere in the back of my mind comes the memory that he also was able to make parts on that lathe for the engines when they broke.

I love this container because it shows off the beautiful hard red wood found in Liberia and also because my father spent so much time making it perfect.
It is not just a solid piece of wood...
It has two separate parts to the lid so that I can drop things in it through the little opening, or I can open up the whole top... if I could think of something worthy of storing in it! Right now, it is beautiful all by itself!


5 comments:

Renae said...

OH, that is beautiful! And such an heirloom, to have made by your own father, with wood from your childhood home.

I'm not sure I could think of anything worthy to store in there, either, unless you put some kind of treasured photos or family documents.

It reminds me of something my grandmother might have put her egg money in.

Jeanette said...

That's actually a good idea, Renae...egg money... Well, I would have to call it something different. Funeral money, maybe! I know that sounds strange, but playing the piano or organ for a funeral would be my little extra income!

Carol-Ann Allen said...

I somehow have two of these containers ... I think one must have come to me from Mom ... but these don't have the nifty double lid. As I recall, he made that for you for you to have something in which to collect your hair! Back in the 70's with your high "do", you were always saving hair from your brush to pad up your extra high hairdo's! The larger lids were sometimes tight to get on and off but the little lid slips rather easily in and out...since you were in it every day, he made yours with slick access. Did I dream that up?

Renae said...

So THAT'S how they made their hair stand so tall . . .

Ya learn something new every day!

Jeanette said...

I have no idea how people really made their hair stand high, Renae! They probably ratted it and sprayed it and curled it and all that. We did not have anywhere to buy that stuff, and so I saved the hair from my hair brush and from when I washed it, and I kept it until there was enough to stitch into a big bun which I then concealed under my hair to make my "do" bigger. Couldn't have found a better match of colors anywhere! I will have to find a picture or two of myself to post!

Back to the container, C-A, I think you are right about why mine is different. Daddy never made containers just to be making containers; there was always a particular use that inspired the container and made it the shape and size that it was. I think the older the wood gets, the prettier it becomes.