Photo by Trent, taken while hiking
at Emerald Lake in
Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado
03/14/2009



July 16, 2008

PICTURE OF THE DAY -- 07/16/2008

Barry and I have celebrated our 30th anniversary in a calm sedate manner, just like you knew we would! We still like spending time with each other more than with anyone else, so a few hours out with an unhurried agenda, some good food, talking, being quiet, totally comfortable with each other -- well, that was our celebration!

Here's a little flashback to 30 years ago...

THE PREP

Fastening the dress...
Carol-Ann is looking on to make sure I don't rumple something!

I wanted to get our wedding dresses from Liberia where I was born and grew up. Barry's parents and mine were living there at the time, and the moms went out shopping with measurements in hand to see what they could find. They bought my dress and two complete sets of the attendants' dresses so that I could pick which I liked best!










Adjusting the veil...








Giving Carol-Ann and Paula their bouquets...
Rene, a wonderful organizer and one of my best friends at church, took me under her wing and made this wedding happen. I still have no idea of all she did to orchestrate everything, including the reception! She asked Ruth, who is famous for her gorgeous garden and wonderful flower arranging, to make our bouquets and corsages. I did not know it until much later, but Ruth was so nervous about having them perfect and unwilted on that hot July day! The flowers turned out beautifully, as Ruth's flowers always do!

Giving Heidi her basket of flowers, another of Ruth's creations. Heidi (Rene's daughter) was the most beautiful flower girl I have ever seen!

Mary, Barry's cousin, was also a bridesmaid. She was driving with her mom from New Jersey for the wedding and could not make it in time to get dressed with the rest of us ladies. I miss her in these prep pictures, but she will be in the pictures tomorrow.








Don't be dropping that ring, girl!
I don't want to be hearing that ring rolling across that church floor!









And what, pray tell, was the groom-to-be doing while the ladies were beautifying themselves?? Can you believe it?? Playing a little soccer to get his mind off things!


If you have read the comments and are wondering what on earth we are talking about, here is the picture I "dressed" up!

12 comments:

Renae said...

Oh, Jeanette! What beautiful dresses! I wish I could have been there! Let's see, where was I in 1978? . . .

Jeanette said...

Thanks, Renae! I wish you could have been there, too! I have no idea where you were...???

(...doing a little head math...age of your daughter...compute...compare with my daughter at that age...compute... )

I'm guessing you might have been about 10! How well did I do??!! (grin)

Renae said...

How did you do that? You're right on the money!

You must be a mathematical genius . . .

Jeanette said...

Pure accident! Well, not really! You mentioned that you were 23 when you got married. Since I was 24 when I got married, I figured you might be in the same ballpark as me on how old you were when you had your first baby. I just did the rest of the figuring to see how much younger than me you are based on how old I was when my daughter was your daughter's age! I'm glad I seemed brainy there for a minute!

Carol-Ann Allen said...

This exchange of comments is so funny! It sure did take more than a mathematical mind to figure that out, Jeanette! It put a kink in the coils of my brain just to read it! Elementary, my dear Watson!

When I came to read this post yesterday there were no pics! I tried several times, so I guess there was a hitch with Blogger in this area.

Two things ... when I heard you were posting pix of your wedding I thought, "Oh GAG"! I was dork queen in those days! But that's OK -- for your wedding YOU were the queen and they are terrific pix of you and Barry!

2ndly, you put a shirt on your man?!!!!! Ha Ha Ha! Splutter, choke! We wanna see the original! You are truly Margaret's daughter! This has sent me off in high humour for my day!

:)

Jeanette said...

I admit to a few shouts of laughter this a.m., Carol-Ann! You started my day off in good humor, too! You better have another look-see, girl, as I have risen to the challenge!

The original was up to begin with (which you evidently could not see!), then I had a little painting session, posted the second pic, so now we shall revert to the original again!

Jeanette said...

And by the way, C-A, you were not the queen of dork! I think the pictures of you are good, too. You probably think that way because you are used to seeing yourself with makeup now, and you did not use any then, so that looks different to you, but definitely not dorky!

Carol-Ann Allen said...

OK!
Now you have to go back and repost the dress-up at the end of the post!

Such entertainment!

Jeanette said...

Ha ha! All-righty!

Carol-Ann Allen said...

Ah yes!
Now your post is complete!

Renae said...

Y'all are so funny!

Jeanette said...

Ha ha, Renae!