Photo by Trent, taken while hiking
at Emerald Lake in
Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado
03/14/2009



July 30, 2008

PICTURE OF THE DAY -- 07/31/2008

Fresh beans from our garden

Today I finished up all my medical transcription work, and then I went out to the garden to pick beans. Here is one of the bowls of beans waiting to be frozen.
We had some of them for supper. If you don't like green beans, then you have not had the ones from our garden! Crisp yet tender...just perfect!

Now I am off to wash, snap, blanch, cool in cold water, pat dry, put in Ziplocs, and stick in the freezer. It's a lot of work now, but there is no replacement for the treat we will have later!

4 comments:

Renae said...

Oh, this brings back memories of sitting on my Memaw and Papa's front porch, shelling peas. My thumbs would turn green, and would ache, but those are such sweet memories!

What time should I be over for dinner?

Jeanette said...

I know the garden is a lot of work, but there is something so peaceful about working in it and something extremely satisfying about running out to pick fresh stuff for supper! And as you are remembering now, it is often happy time spent together with family.

I froze 3 bags of beans last evening -- just a small job to begin with but all I had time to pick. Doctors are on vacation, so I am off to weed again...

Be here for dinner at 7:00 PM sharp, but you can come up to 2 hours late and still scrounge up leftovers :D

Carol-Ann Allen said...

You know, girls, if we keep talking about this "over for supper" thing, one day we are gonna just up and do it! Ha!

Renae said...

I'll bring the coffee and dessert! :-)