Photo by Trent, taken while hiking
at Emerald Lake in
Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado
03/14/2009



July 18, 2008

PICTURE OF THE DAY -- 07/18/2008

THE REST OF THE STORY...



Barry & me with Doug & Heather Shantz, my pastor and his wife.
How blessed we were to have them guiding us during this time!


At the reception, Carol-Ann sang a song that she had written especially for my wedding day talking about some of the funny and some of the serious times of my growing-up days. She sang it again 5 years ago at our 25th anniversary party--what a great memory, Carol-Ann!


Because my parents were still in Liberia, Gord had a recorder ready, and he went around the reception area putting together a tape with lots of comments and greetings for them to enjoy.

(I realized much later that my mother calculated the difference in time zones, and at the exact time our wedding began, she sat in the living room, thinking of us and imagining it all, and refused to be disturbed until the wedding was over. That makes me cry!)







I got a turn, but I have no idea now what I said!




My friend Rene headed up the preparation and serving of the most wonderful reception. There was lots of food for everyone, and this was a major feat, as there were no RSVPs and no way of knowing how many would be there. Everyone attending the ceremony was invited to go downstairs to the fellowship hall afterwards to celebrate with us. The planning and preparation and work and expense and love that went into it makes me cry again when I remember. Now, 30 years later, I have a better idea of what they did for me than I was able to understand then.


No frosting on my face...

I love this picture, not because we were young or good-looking, but because it symbolizes the way Barry treats me. When he fed me cake that day, he did it with kindness and consideration, and that has been his way--every day--for the last 30 years.


6 comments:

Carol-Ann Allen said...

Great post, JJ Blue!
You and Barry are a good match!

Jeanette said...

Thanks C-A!

Well, we can now move on to other things! I wanted the story to be complete for future reading, but I'm ready for short posts again!

Yes, we are a good match, but I do believe he is better than I deserve!

Louise said...

Such beautiful wedding photos Jeanette, thank you for sharing them.

Over the years I've watched brides & grooms & wedding cake and came to the conclusion I wouldn't want to be married to a man who would make a mess when it came to exchanging bites of cake. Your photos and comments proved my point. Why on earth couples want to do what they do is beyond me. My husband treated me like a lady also ... on our wedding day and when we celebrated our 25th anniversary. To me it shows honor and respect for the one you're married to.

Jeanette said...

Hi Louise! I'm so glad to see you! I'm glad you like my pictures. A professional photographer was NOT in the budget (!!) but friends took pictures and gave me copies. Most of them were candid shots and only a few outside in front of the church were poses with the wedding party and family and friends in different groups.

I think a lot of brides would prefer not to have the cake smeared on their faces. I once saw a bride nearly in tears over it. Of course, it makes a difference how it is done. I'm sure that many couples see it as playful fun, but it has never seemed like fun to me, and I know other ladies who have ADAMANT views against it!

Renae said...

Thank you for sharing these special moments with us. I have loved looking at your wedding album!

Jeanette said...

Thanks, Renae! I'm glad you could attend my wedding after all!