Photo by Trent, taken while hiking
at Emerald Lake in
Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado
03/14/2009



July 17, 2008

PICTURE OF THE DAY -- 07/17/2008

THE CEREMONY

My uncle Frank and me
As I mentioned before, my mom and dad were not able to be at our wedding, so I asked Uncle Frank to walk down the aisle with me. This was a first for him and for me, and I love the comforting way he is holding my hand!


The wedding party waiting for me
Keith was Barry's best man and traveled all the way from Colorado to be at our wedding. This meant a lot to Barry and to both of us.



After we lit the unity candle, I sang a song to Barry. It was Kenny Nolan's song, "Love's Grown Deep." Heather Shantz, my pastor's wife, did a beautiful job of playing the organ for me to sing!


The kiss
(People teased us that if they had blinked, they would have missed it!)


Here we are, Mr. and Mrs!

I was probably the most un-nervous bride ever! Not one question or doubt crossed my mind, (and it certainly helped that a lot of other wonderful people were doing all the worrying for me!)

But I know the real reason was because I had confidence that my marrying Barry was pleasing to God. Years before, I had tussled with wanting my own way on this, no matter what, but circumstances and an awful lot of prayer brought me to the point of saying, and truly meaning it, "Okay, Lord, only if you want me to!" After that, I never pushed my way forward or initiated any relationship with him, knowing that if God was for it, it was not up to me to make it happen. Oh, how glad I am to be able to say this now -- after 30 years!

(Okay, I admit there must have been just a teeny nerve somewhere, because there was that dream I had the night before the wedding...I was all dressed in my beautiful white wedding dress, sitting on a soccer ball and bouncing around in the little church foyer!!)


5 comments:

Carol-Ann Allen said...

No! HoHoHO, NO! Not really -- that dream didn't really happen, did it? Oh the picture it conjures up! That is just too much! Extremely funny, sis!

Jeanette said...

Oh, yes, it did! You can see what a crazy mix of things it was! Church, wedding dress, soccer...? My brain was working on something and had it all in a mess!!

Carol-Ann Allen said...

I think Auntie Vic was doing all the worrying! She was like a little birdie and had such a guttural, throaty way of warbling! The Queen of Superstition was she, poor thing!

She'd said to me once, "Oh Cahrol! Friday the 13th is a tahrrible day! Tahribble!"

As we were driving to the church with Uncle Frank and her, Uncle Frank tapped his cigarette out the window and some of it fluffed back on you. Birdie just about had a birdie! Oh, she was fit to be tied! This was NOT a GOOD omen!

:)

Carol-Ann Allen said...

I'd say your brain was working on something and had it all straight! Wedding dress -- yup!
Church -- yup!
Soccer ball -- yup!
Bouncing -- well ... let's leave it there!

Jeanette said...

Okay, splitting a gut over this one! It is so funny what you remember which is often stuff I have forgotten! The ashes from his cigarette...hmmm, I must not have been too worried. Of course, if the dress was fine, I would forget all about it, but the superstition part is what made her keep going!