Photo by Trent, taken while hiking
at Emerald Lake in
Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado
03/14/2009



May 14, 2008

PICTURE OF THE DAY -- 05/14/2008


This picture is really a combination of two things my mom did when I was growing up.

One of them I'll post more about tomorrow -- Bible translation. This little girl is holding the newly published book of Genesis, translated by my mom with the help of many other people (more later on that).

What I wanted to post this picture for today, though, is the beautiful flowers. My mom planned out and oversaw the planting and upkeep of flowers on the little mission compound where we lived. This is "The Circle" which had lilies all around the edge and trees inside the circle including gardenia, frangipani, and bougainvillea. When all those lilies were in bloom, it was absolutely gorgeous! As an earlier picture showed, we lived in the middle of the African rain forest, and when I was little, there was no access by car to where we lived. Sometimes we had expatriate visitors who came walking through the forest, and they were always delightfully surprised to find our neat well-kept paths lined with trimmed hedges, The Circle of beautiful flowers, the pineapple patch in straight rows, and the lovely coconut, plum, grapefruit, orange, and lime trees.

(This is definitely making me homesick today!)

6 comments:

Carol-Ann Allen said...

I don't think I would ever have learned how to ride a bike if I hadn't had the circle to go round and round and round!

Do you remember when you were riding your bike around the circle and a boy decided to be smart and sit down on the ground and stretch his legs across your path? Ha! He had no idea you wouldn't stop, I'm sure! Wonder if the tire marks ever faded off his shins!

I've always liked this pic of Amy but Edna (her Mom) states she is mortified by it!

Jeanette said...

Yes, how could I forget! That was Richard who did that. He stuck his legs out right in front of me with the intention of upsetting me or stopping me or something, and I was so wobbly in the steering department that I couldn't do anything but run over those two legs! And then, of course, down I went!

I can't imagine what Amy does not like about this picture. She is the cutest thing, but then again, I am mortified by a lot of my pictures!! So I'm sure she has a good reason!

Renae said...

Oh, Jeanette! You ran over that poor boy? HA! That is so funny! (At least, it is funny since no one was seriously hurt!)

What beautiful flowers! And what great stories you two have . . . perhaps there is a book idea! :-)

Jeanette said...

Ha ha, Renae! I should have felt more sorry for Richard and his sore legs at the time, but I was too busy feeling totally embarrassed and also mad at him for intentionally making me fall down!! Oh, my ego was bruised! I'm sure he and his friends had a good laugh at my expense, though!

Well, Carol-Ann, how about collaborating on a book of stories?? Speaking of writing, Renae, I did copy that "Grossly Normal" post and added a few little things to it. I looked at some publications online and found out that its word count fits pretty close... Didn't send it anywhere yet, though. I'm working up the courage!

Renae said...

Are you planning to send a query letter first? Let me know if I can help.

Jeanette said...

Renae, I'm not sure what a query letter is?? So maybe I need a lesson in protocol on this... Off the top of my head, it sounds like a letter asking if they need/accept devotionals for publication. But that might not be correct, I know. Please clue me in!