Photo by Trent, taken while hiking
at Emerald Lake in
Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado
03/14/2009



May 17, 2008

PICTURE OF THE DAY -- 05/17/2008

We just had to have several pictures to finish this week off!

After the final version of the translation was done, my mother typed all the stencils. Then began a tussle with the mimeograph. It had a mind of its own, and added to that was the fact that in the very humid weather, the ink did not dry quickly, and she often had the ink from one sheet bleed onto the next sheet that landed on top of it. Finally, though, piles of each sheet were stacked everywhere waiting for the assembly line.

Here are my sister-in-law Paula (right), Sharon who was a co-worker with my parents (center), and a girl who was part of a group visiting from Prairie Bible Institute (left). Long tables were lined up, and someone began by taking the last page of the book and laying down as many as possible. The next person put the second-to-last page on top of it, and so on, and so on, and so on...until page 1 was on the top. These piles were all stacked on top of each other, alternating them the short way on top of the long way of the paper so they were kept as separate books. Then the process began all over again until all the sheets were gone!





Then it was time to put the covers on! Here are my brother Gord, Paula, and my mother putting one pink sheet on the back and one on the front. It looks like they are enjoying it, too!











Sharon is tightening the staples with pliers.









My mother, carefully covering the staples with tape to bind the edge of the book.









All that hard work, and she is so pleased! A little bit more of God's Word that people can read in their own language!


This is the end of the Mother's Day week in pictures! I hope you have enjoyed this little glimpse into the life of my mom and what I remember her doing when I was growing up. If everyone's mom was like mine, how much better this world would be!

8 comments:

Renae said...

Jeanette, what year was this?

Jeanette said...

Renae, I'm not sure if you mean the translation work in general or these specific pictures, so I'll answer both things. She started working on translating when I was quite young as far back as I can remember, but the pictures I have posted were taken in the early 1980s, as far as I can tell. My mother could probably tell me the exact year, but I do know that it was after my brother married my husband's sister (family story, again) and the two of them went back to Liberia as missionaries themselves. I just can't tell from the pictures I have whether their first child had been born yet or not. Does that answer what you were wondering?

Carol-Ann Allen said...

Hmmm....
Let me see.
I believe it was during the summer of my second year at PBI so that would be summer of 1982. The team was sent out to SIM missions but because a WEC MK was on campus they went down to River Cess to see if what I had told them was true.

Jeanette said...

Thanks, Carol-Ann! Steph and Trent were both born in '82, so I was pretty close, just not sure. I'm not sure if Paula was expecting Steph in these pictures or not, but she could have been.

Renae said...

Wow, thanks to both of you!

--r

Jeanette said...

Carol-Ann, did the group decide you had described it all accurately???

Carol-Ann Allen said...

Ha!
The half had not be told :)

Carol-Ann Allen said...

Strange to see Gord's two inch beard! Twenty-two inches are missing!