Photo by Trent, taken while hiking
at Emerald Lake in
Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado
03/14/2009



May 28, 2008

PICTURE OF THE DAY -- 05/28/2008

Several pictures today...


Trent had some fun toys when he was little. Most of them were passed on to him from other families who had outgrown them or from garage sales, as the budget was pretty tight! He used to get on this horse and bounce up and down with all his might. Up he would go, and on the way down again, his hair stood out like this, up he would go again, and down he came with his hair all sticking out! We had so much fun watching him! But no matter how much fun his toys were, his very favorite activities showed me that kids don't necessarily need a lot of expensive toys to make them happy....

He passed up all his toys to spend time in here. He would take all the bags and boxes out on the floor and just have so much fun. He couldn't hurt himself with it, so I gave up on trying to keep it in order and just kept stuffing everything back in there. The other cupboard had my pots and pans, and that was the next source of noisy entertainment. He had the best imagination for how to play with ordinary kitchen things!

I had a lot of magazines on that bottom shelf, and Trent just loved to take them all down onto the wood floor. He didn't tear them up or ruin them, but he liked to take them all down, sit on them, and look at them. He was too little to put them back, so there he left them. He would come trotting around the corner, forgetting about all those slick magazines on the floor, and down he would go, thumping his head. Wail, wail, wail! And I would comfort him and help him pick up the magazines! It happened a lot of times!

(I'm so glad we took these pictures, because they help me to remember what he was into all day as a very little boy! He always knew how to keep himself occupied and was happy playing by himself as long as Mom or Dad was close by.)


4 comments:

Renae said...

I love these pictures! Some things never change. Foster's favorite toy is still a cardboard box!

Carol-Ann Allen said...

This is such a cute post! You just have to smile with such satisfaction!

Louise said...

A beautiful post and such wonderful pictures. It's amazing how children can entertain themselves without all the 'stuff' we think they need. It's good to be back dear friend. Hope you & yours are well.

Jeanette said...

Thanks for your comments, ladies! I have to say I think this is my favorite post! I am just like you, Carol-Ann! I have to smile every time I see those pictures and remember what a cute little boy he was!

Foster has it all figured out, Renae! You can make a box be anything you want!

I'm so glad you are back, Louise! I have missed you! Yes, we are well, and I hope you are, too.